AL, CPA, MBA |
Project Clients & Past Employers
- Citigroup ($250B diversified global financial services company)
- Wells Fargo Bank ($115B diversified global financial services company)
- Union Bank ($80B full-service commercial bank)
- CB Richard Ellis ($10B publicly traded full service commercial real estate company)
- First Bank/International Bank of California ($9B regional bank in West Coast and Midwest)
- Preferred Bank (Full service commercial bank headquartered in Los Angeles)
- Belkin Corporation ($3B global technology leader in connectivity solutions)
- Exult/Hewitt Associates ($3B global human resources outsourcing provider)
- Gemstar-TV Guide International ($2B global media & technology company)
- Experian North America and Experian UK ($1B consumer and business information organization)
- BT Infonet ($700M global managed data communication provider)
- The Capital Group (3rd largest US mutual funds company)
- TriZetto Group ($360M healthcare administration software company)
- Fuels Systems Solutions ($200M publicly traded global alternate fuel system manufacturer)
- AT&T Wireless (The largest US wireless voice & data services provider, subsidiary of AT&T)
- Dynamic Details ($150M publicly traded global printed circuit board & electronics manufacturer)
- Earth Tech (Subsidiary of Tyco International; provider of consulting, engineering and construction services)
- Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA (Marine and power sports vehicles manufacturer)
- Paciolan ($50M ticketing software company)
- CTX (Global LCD, CRT, multimedia & plasma display manufacturer)
- Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. Restaurants, Inc. (Privately held seafood restaurant chain)
- LuxeYard (Publicly traded ecommerce for luxury home furnishings and décor site)
- KPMG International (Clients included: Citigroup, Wells Fargo Bank, Gemstar-TV Guide International, CTX, First Bank/International Bank of California)
Functional Finance & Accounting Experience
Financial Reporting & General Accounting
- Hands on and supervisory controllership experience for various large and small companies in all areas of general accounting, including G/L account analysis and reconciliation, consolidations, journal entries/adjustments/inter-company eliminations, A/R, A/P, cash management, fixed assets, payroll and fringe benefits accruals, reserve accounts, actual vs. budget analysis and financial statement preparation.
- Facilitated month-end and year-end closing processes for a variety of companies, assuring the timeliness and accuracy of data including preparation of financial statements, developing accruals, preparing journal entries, account analysis and reconciliation.
- Designed and prepared monthly financial review package including executive summaries and variance analysis to Senior Management and outside lenders.
- Assured compliance of investment strategies to prospectus, SEC, and IRS regulations via audit and interaction with Portfolio Managers and the Legal Department
- Performed corporate tax reporting and ensured compliance with income and excise tax regulations.
- Performed corporate allocation of costs among various business units and/or subsidiaries of large corporations.
- Prepared ad hoc reporting and audit materials for acquiring company and external auditors. Reconciled post merger general ledger account variances. Created post merger restricted stock grants calculation template. Calculated and booked post merger fixed assets depreciation adjustment for US, UK and India. Researched and tested general ledger accounts mapping from business entities.
- Created variance analysis, including year to year currency conversion fluctuations.
Technical Accounting & External Reporting
- Prepared SEC Forms 10K, 10Q and 8-K, including complete footnote disclosures and MD&A with relevant support, in auditable form. Reviewed and prepared company's quarterly earnings release, analyst script and annual report. Liaised with internal management as well as outside legal counsel and auditors to ensure accuracy, completeness and compliance of SEC reporting.
- Actively participated in an S-1 initial public offering registration statement filing:
- Assisted with the due diligence process of investment banker selection.
- Drafted and filed the S-1 registration statement and other selected financial information, including the exhibits in compliance with SEC requirements.
- Narrated risk factors and notes for forward looking statements for S-1 filing.
- Restated corporate earnings back three years in advance of IPO.
- Performed technical and specialized accounting based research, including FAS 130, 142, 150, 115, 133 and 123R, SAB 11B. Responsible for ensuring all GAAP/FASB compliance, including revenue recognition and application of SOP 97-2 and SAB 101; equity compensation and application of FAS 123R.
- Reviewed contracts and ensure terms have been appropriately accounted for under the software revenue recognition policy (SOP 97-2), maintained VSOE documentation and multiple element arrangements.
- Prepared audit and carve-out financial statements and note disclosures for large corporations and technology IPOs, including the S-1 registration statements. Reviewed all data and provided certain financial information for inclusion in company's proxy statement.
Financial Audit, Internal Controls & Sarbanes Oxley Compliance
- Extensive background creating accounting policy and procedure and enhancing and maintaining internal control processes for GAAP compliance.
- Established workflow process policies, risk management manual and internal control structure.
- Performed documentation and assessment under Section 404 of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
- Evaluated financial and operational risks and proposed best-practices to mitigate risk in the areas of internal control (e.g. segregation of duties, system limitations/security, safeguarding of assets), data integrity and issues due to insufficient financial and operational staff training. Developed and planned interim solutions.
- External audit background in the financial services, technology, engineering and manufacturing industry sectors; performed all phases of financial audit including, planning analysis, review and reporting.
- Analyzed existing investment policy, portfolio, and accounting system and offered recommendations to improve existing processes and internal controls, return enhancement, as well as refinement of investment accounting procedures ensuring GAAP compliance.
- Performed due diligence review, litigation support and internal audit functions to evaluate strategic risks and control and to assess revenue and expense assurance.
- Conducted physical inventory audits, including verification to supporting purchase documents.
Financial Planning & Analysis
- Hands on and supervisory experience preparing budgets and forecasts for multiple businesses.
- Managed P&L performance against plans and estimates for the restructuring projects for Experian North America, including costs, cost savings, and headcount.
- Prepared departmental and consolidated budget report and planned vs. actual results.
- Created and reviewed monthly, quarterly and annual cash flow reporting and analysis.
- Developed budget and measurement tools using Excel and Access, enabling pre-IPO companies to forecast cash flows and plan for new capital expenditures.
- Conducted analytical projects involving complex computer modeling, forecasting and benchmarking.
- Conducted loan review to assess risk of bank loans and review allowance for bad debt.
- Developed FAS 133 derivative valuation models, assumptions and sensitivity analysis for retail financing programs, resulting in significant improvement in accuracy, efficiency and timeliness of calculating FAS 133 valuations for budget forecasting and financial reporting.
- Implemented restructuring reporting system that allowed the tracking of costs, savings and headcount reduction for actual, plan and forecast for North America division.
- Analyzed the days payable outstanding by business units and identified opportunities to improve overall monthly cash position.
- Developed new financial modeling to better forecast cash flow for accounts receivable and treasury functions for large publicly traded company. The new model helped to identify bottlenecks and provide better tracking and forecasted of cash flows within all business units and significantly improved the overall day sales outstanding (DSO).
- Significantly improved the efficiency and flexibility of a financial model by applying more suitable formulas, space-saving modeling techniques, streamlining relationships and cutting out redundant information.
Operational Risk Management
- Performed gap assessment of issues identified in OCC/FRB, Audit exams and Basel II Final Rulings.
- Updated bank wide policies and procedures to reflect changes to Loss Data Collection processes.
- Developed a table of contents or "umbrella document" to define the contents of all individual Operational Risk Management Department policies, procedures, and desktops.
- Developed document explaining Business Unit Risk Manager roles and responsibilities in support of each of the Basel elements and each Operational Risk Module through interviews with operational risk management staff, bank module owners, and review of existing bank policies.
- Prepared data flow schemas of internal loss data from inception to inclusion in the Risk Weighted Asset Capital Calculation and data validation model through interviews with operational risk management department staff and review of existing process flows.
- Researched and compared financial statement disclosure for Operational Risk Capital as a percentage of total capital (Regulatory Capital under Basel II rule) among large global banks.
Systems Expertise: Selected Detail
- Certified Microsoft Office Specialist - Excel 2003 Expert
- Advanced Level Excel User, including pivot tables, macros creation/modification, advanced charting, VLOOKUP/HLOOKUP, filter, data validation, shared data, heavy database linking, financial functions and customization of toolbars.
- Proficient Level Access User with experience in basic database creation, custom and nested queries, multiple reports, expression building, data linkage and interface.
- Advanced Level PowerPoint User including creating slide masters, working with templates and layouts, inserting objects (pictures, symbols, charts, sound), creating graphs and organization charts, working with embedded and/or linked objects, slide transition and animation as well as creating and running slide shows.
- Led the design of SAP system upgrade, including user requirements, testing, reconciliation and maintenance.
- Participated in the FI/CO implementation - created cost center hierarchies, profit center hierarchy, internal order structure, and company code hierarchy. Set G/L accounts for other modules.
Oracle Financial 11I & R12 - Super User
- General Ledger
- ADI (Application Desktop Integrator)
- Accounts Payable Inquiry
- Accounts Receivable
- OFA (Oracle Financial Analyzer)
- Project Billings
- Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition (OBIEE)
- Tested historical and current financial data before the rollout of Oracle reporting tools for forecasting and budgeting.
- PeopleSoft, Crystal Report, MAS-90, QuickBooks, Visio, Monarch, Hyperion, Essbase, JD Edwards, Citrix, RIA Checkpoint, Bloomberg and Reuters.
Education & Credentials
- University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada, MBA, Finance
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois, BS, Accountancy
- CPA, State of California and Illinois
Continuing Professional Education
- Completed annual CPA requirements (80 hours / 2 years of CPE)
- Completed 8 hours of International Financial Reporting Standards Training (IFRS)
- Read and write Chinese, fluent in both Mandarin and Cantonese
888.595.5600 or firstname.lastname@example.org