EW, MSA, CPA |
Project Clients & Past Employers
- Tribune Company - (employee owned media company - revenues private)
- Commonwealth Edison - ($6 billion subsidiary of Exelon Corporation, a $19 billion publicly traded electric utility company)
- Tribune Interactive - (subsidiary of Tribune Company - overseeing Tribune's publishing, broadcasting, and special interest websites - revenues private)
- Echo Global Logistics - (start up transportation logistics company - revenues private)
- Arthur Andersen LLP - Clients included: Waste Management (SEC), Olympic Steel (SEC), Dairy Mart, Horvitz Trust, Premix, Stein, and Columbia Steel & Wire
Functional Finance & Accounting Experience
Financial Reporting & General Accounting
- Hands-on and supervisory experience for multiple large and small companies including general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll operations.
- Responsible for the successful completion of monthly close:
- Consolidated the results of 12 business units on the company standard 4 day close.
- Analyzed results against budgets, forecasts and prior periods and presented conclusions to senior management.
- Prepared and reviewed journal entries and account reconciliations.
- Ensured that financials were prepared in accordance with GAAP.
- Improved management reporting:
- Enhanced quarterly scorecard of key performance indicators used by all levels of senior management.
- Involved in development of new revenue and COGS reporting crucial in accurate and timely reporting for monthly close.
- Streamlined templates used for monthly re-forecasting of financial results, saving 25% in time and ensuring all items were properly forecasted.
- Prepared selected footnote disclosures for annual audited financial statements, including review and development of supporting financial data schedules.
- Finalized and submitted monthly, quarterly, and annual internal reports to corporate office in regards to overall financial performance and MD&A.
- Implemented project plan to determine client's position and financial statement impact from new regulatory pronouncement in regards to accounting for affiliate transactions.
- Liaisoned with outside tax partner, serving as point person for providing support documentation, completing and reviewing returns, and discovery that sales & use tax returns were not being remitted by company, including analysis to determine potential company exposure.
- Supported post merger integration of company asset based acquisitions in the following manner:
- Ensured consolidated financial results were accurately stated and tracked.
- Provided transitional training on policy and procedures with acquired company management.
- Tracked acquisition results on stand-alone basis for acquired management earn-out bonus provision.
- Provided input on purchase accounting valuation of acquired companies, including determination of fair value for assets and liabilities acquired, along with purchase price allocation among intangible assets.
- Helped determine and implement company methodology around various accounting pronouncements, including FAS 13 accounting for leases, gross versus net revenue accounting, FAS 141 purchase accounting, FAS 123R share based payments and FAS 116 charitable contributions analysis.
Financial Audit, Internal Controls & Sarbanes Oxley Compliance
- External and internal audit background in manufacturing, consumer services, media, interactive, and logistics.
- Performed financial statement and internal control audits for multiple business units of a publicly held company, noting deficiencies and implementing updated processes and procedures to conform to Internal Audit's recommendations:
- Audited processes relating, but not limited to: inventory, fixed assets, receivables, purchasing, payables, circulation, advertising sales process, payroll, and treasury.
- Led meetings with senior management to discuss audit findings and recommendations.
- Coordinated and streamlined completion of SOX templates for corporate operations, including tax, investments, treasury, and external financial reporting, along with shared services AP operations.
- Presented best practices for writing internal audit reports to members of NMIA (News Media Internal Audit) at annual conference.
- Developed standardized queries and guidelines for Internal Audit to utilize going forward in testing employee expense reports using Business Objects.
- Led team and coordinated project plan that completed SOX control narrative documentation and self-testing for interactive business unit, including payroll, accounts payable, advertising, fixed assets, and reporting.
- Prepared and assisted in external audits of consolidated financial statements and footnote disclosures for privately held and public companies.
- Drafted financial statements including new footnote preparation for external auditors.
- Assisted in preparation of support documents in advance of S-1 filing.
- Served as primary company liaison for external audit firm during simultaneous 3 years of back audits at start up logistics company, including submission of audit PBC schedules, reviewing financial statements, and concluding on audit findings.
Corporate Restructuring & Turnaround
- Hands-on and leadership experience working with the external reporting department of 110 legal entity company in completion of schedules and documentation for required filings under Chapter 11, as well as completion of annual financial statements and ad hoc requests.
- Coordinated the project team that automated the manual consolidation of Excel financial statements for filed monthly operating reports:
- Created enhancements within existing financial system to track financial data to conform to bankruptcy presentation.
- Designed new queries and reports that greatly enhanced management's ability to review variances at a consolidated level.
- Created efficiencies in generating financial statements that saved company hundreds of thousands of dollars.
- Communicated roll-out of new procedures and follow up review to all 110 legal entities.
- Coordinated IT involvement, including system redesign and QA testing and approval prior to putting into production.
- Prepared and reviewed monthly operating reports to assist 110 legal entity company for submission to bankruptcy court and related creditors committee.
- Researched and become primary client resource for review and analysis around disclosing liabilities under bankruptcy reporting requirements.
- Documented management procedures around key processes to answer bankruptcy creditor committee questions.
- Streamlined financial model for monthly filing of debtor financial statements to bankruptcy court.
- Developed and reviewed schedules to support liquidation analysis developed as part of bankruptcy reorganization plan.
Financial Planning & Analysis
- Hands-on and supervisory experience preparing annual operating plans, budgets, and forecasts for multiple companies, using both top-down and bottom-up budgeting methods.
- Coordinated the annual operating budget for 12 business units located around the United States:
- Developed and communicated deadlines for budget timeline that covered 10 months.
- Updated budget templates using Hyperion Essbase for new products/strategies.
- Assisted department owners with completion of individual budget templates.
- Reviewed initial submissions versus targets and other KPIs and communicated results to senior management.
- Provided support schedules for presentation of final budget to senior management.
- Coordinated three and five year strategic plan process, including template development, managing timeline, review, and presentation to senior management.
- Added next level detail functionality for financial model utilized for developing multi-year budget at privately held logistics company.
- Responsible for the accurate completion and submission of monthly re-forecasting results for 12 business units and comparison to senior management expectations.
- Extensive experience building, improving and refining financial models to fulfill various management requests.
- Enhanced revenue and expense models related to new national website launch, incorporating multiple revenue products and including functionality to link revenue and expense requirements across multiple markets.
- Created three year financial model for new start-up company in initial invested capital procurement phase, including understanding and ensuring all P&L items were included, proper relationships between revenue and expense were maintained, and easy-to-use functionality for non-financial users to utilize going forward.
- Developed overhead expense allocation model for new centralized infrastructure platform focusing on capitalization of website development costs.
- Updated model for annual valuation for impairment of client goodwill under FAS 142, adding enhancements to display variances caused by changing in discount rate, enterprise value, and cash flow multiple.
Systems Expertise: Selected Detail
- Certified Microsoft Office Specialist - Excel 2007
- Advanced Level Excel User including macro creation/modification, graphing presentations (charts, trend lines, axis scales, multiple charts), conditional formatting, name definition and creation, hyperlink creation, data validation (dropdown list, and warning error message), filter (auto filter, advanced filter), data consolidation, subtotal, pivot tables, and utilizing financial, logical and statistical functions (IRR, if/then, vlookup, etc).
- Proficient Level Access User including tables (importing, field definitions, use of primary keys, creating table relationships), creation of forms and reports, data validation, sorting / filtering, grouping, subtotaling, and queries.
- Proficient Level PowerPoint User including creating slide masters, working with templates and layouts, inserting objects (pictures, symbols, charts, sound), working with embedded and/or linked objects, as well as creating and running slide shows.
- Advanced Level Essbase User including database creation, loading and retrieval of financial information, creation of ad-hoc queries, and development of internal reports.
PeopleSoft / Nvision
- Advanced Level PeopleSoft User including accounts payable, general ledger, fixed assets, and human resource modules. Enhanced available Nvision reports and queries for improved consolidation and product reporting.
- Proficient Level QuickBooks User including chart of accounts/general ledger maintenance, reporting, and accounts payable maintenance.
- Advanced Level Business ObjectsUser including query and report generation.
Great Plains / FRx
- Advanced Level Great Plains / FRx User.
- Project Manager for new system implementation, including;
- Coordinated project to meet 6-week implementation timeline.
- Acted as liaison between the Great Plains consultants, internal IT department and company management's needs.
- Loaded historical financial data as well as vendor and customer master records and coordinated testing plan for data import.
- Worked on business rules for automatic interfaces between sales operational system and Great Plains for revenue and COGS transactions.
- System administrator including chart of account structure, user access, closing year-ends, and system maintenance.
- Created process documents around system navigation and major Finance operations - general ledger, accounts payable, and accounts receivables.
- Designed and programmed new financial reports utilizing the FRx report writer employing complex reporting trees.
Education & Credentials
- Ohio University, Masters of Science in Accounting
- Ohio University, BS Accounting
- CPA, Illinois
888.595.5600 or email@example.com